Disney Magic in the Med

Photo courtesy of Disney Cruise Line

Saturday Aug 6
We arrived at Barcelona’s Addosatt Cruise Terminal “C” around 10:30am and check in was seamless. Within 45 minutes, boarding began and we were the fourth group aboard. As standard with DCL, as you board the ship for the first time, a Cast Member announces your party’s name and you’re greeted with an applause, which is always a pleasant surprise.As I had done my research, my Mother, Father and I headed up to Deck Nine to the Topsiders Buffet where we managed to get a table outside.

There was a wide selection of food available including a carvery selection, various seafood, pastas and chicken, meat and vegetarian dishes. After a spot of lunch and maybe one or two desserts, the announcement was made that staterooms were ready for occupany. Initaly, we booked a Navigators Veranda Stateroom but were upgraded to a Cat, 4B Superior Family Stateroom with Veranda. This was located aft on Deck Eight. An ideal position as it was one deck below the pools, outside bars and the buffet. The stateroom was 303 Sq Ft and can sleep up 5 guests. Our cases arrived swiftly once we arrived in our stateroom and we managed to unpack in around 45 minutes.

We then headed to our Muster Station, which was in the Animator’s Palate Restaurant which is located Aft on Deck 4.After the usual “drill”, which surprisingly we were not required to carry our lifejackets, a bit like Celebrity and RCI, we raced up to Deck 10 to watch the “Adventure’s Away!” Sail Away Party. Shortly after we let the lines go, we pushed out from the berth and swung around bow to starboard, stern to port before heading out to the Mediterranean sea.

We had booked the 20:30 dinner sitting, so we went to watch the 20:30 “All Aboard: Let the Magic Begin” show which was very well structured. For the first evening, we dined in Parrot Cay, a Caribbean themed dining room located Aft on Deck 3. We met our table guests and our servers, all of whom were lovely people. The quality and presentation of the food was excellent, as expected. After Dinner, we had a drink in the Promenade Lounge and listened to a Canadian singing duo named Northern Lights. I headed up to Vibe, the teen club located inside the forward funnel for a while. I wasn’t really impressed so I decided to retire for the evening whilst my parents went to The District, the adults only section of the Disney Magic.

Sunday Aug 7
We arrived into the bay of Villefranche, Nice around 0800 and anchored shortly after. We boarded a tender around 0830 as we went on a Disney Port Adventure to Monaco. After the short tender ride, we boarded the motor coach for the journey to Monaco. Along the way, we drove through picturesque towns and villages. After arriving in Monaco, our guide took us on a brief walking tour around the main tourist sights before we boarded a dotto train for a tour around the Principality. Funnily enough, we met a family behind us who live just in the next town, which emphasises the fact that It’s a Small World After All!

After the train ride, we re-boarded the motor coach which then parked down by the marina. We had a 5 minute walk to a cafe where we were given a voucher for a drink. It was lovely sitting down in the sunshine next to all the yachts and watching all the expensive cars pass by. On our return journey to the motorcoach, my Father and I walked past the “Lady Moura” superyacht that was once owned by Russian Billionaire Roman Abramovich. I just had to get a photo standing metres away from it. I wish I won the euromillions then I could probably afford one a 1/4 of the size of the Lady Moura! Once we returned to the tender pier, we had a brief walk around the marina of Villefrance, which inspired imagineers to create the set for Lights, Motors, Action! We then returned back to the ship for a spot of lunch (Chicken Tenders and Fries) before returning to our stateroom for a nap. That evening, I attended the 1830 performance of “Twice Charmed” in the Walt Disney Theatre before heading to Lumiere’s restaurant on Deck 3 midship.tonights menu was a Prince and Princess theme shipwide. The food again was very tasty. After Dinner, my parents and I had a drink in one of the lounges before we all retired for the evening.

Monday Aug 8
Today we were anchored in the bay of La Spezia, Italy. From where we had the option to visit Florence, Pisa or Portofino. However, after a long day in Monaco on Sunday, we decided to just take a short stroll around the town before heading back to the ship for lunch. The weather was sunny with temperatures peaking at 30 degrees. The humidity was also high so we decided to stay indoors aboard the ship. During the afternoon, we went to Bingo which was surprisingly fun. Ricky, Sherilyn, Heather and TJ – the Cruise Staff were great fun and kept everyone entertained. Tonight I went to the 1830 show of “Villains Tonight”. The show was fantastic, a real look at the Disney Villains with a few surprises along the way. We stopped for a pre dinner drink in the Promenade Lounge before heading into dinner which was again tonight at Lumiere’s. Today we had the official Lumiere’s menu which is French Cuisine. The food was again very tasty. After dinner, I met up with one of my friends aboard for a couple of hours before retiring for the evening.

Tuesday Aug 9
Today we were in the port of Civitavecchia, Italy. Which is the gateway to Rome. We arrived alongside our berth around 0700 and we were not departing until 2100. Today we decided to take the train into Rome. It was 9Euros return journey for an Adult, which was a bargain. The train journey took just under an hour. Once in Rome, the temperature was a stifiling 34 degrees centigrade. So we headed for the Hard Rock Cafe Rome where we had lunch, a few drinks and then caught the train back to Civitavecchia. Once we were back aboard the ship, I rushed to the 1830 show of “Art of the Story”, before it was time for dinner. Tonight we were in Animator’s Palate, which is a unique dining experience where pictures turn from black and white to colour during the course of your meal. After dinner, we had a couple of drinks in the bar with the family whom we met on the Monaco tour before going back to our staterooms around 1am, yes 1am.

Wednesday Aug 10
Today we were in the port of Naples, Italy – the home of pizza. We had visited Naples before so we knew our way around (including the daunting six lane road crossings). However, we were approached by an Italian taxi driver and a British family who opted to go on a tour of Pompeii and Naples. We decided to go along, for 20Euros each it wasn’t that bad. We were taken to Pompeii where we had an hour of free time before a panoramic drive of Naples. We got back to the ship around 3pm as I had a special event that evening. I had been invited by Captain Marco to visit the bridge of the Disney Magic and sound the horn as we sailed away from Naples. I was up on the bridge from 1830 to 1850, where I got to meet the Captain, his Assistant and a few of the Officers. Sadly the Captain had to cut short the visit to the bridge that evening due to a group of about 200 guests on a Port Adventure stuck in traffic. So he invited me to come back the following day. All guests were finally aboard around 2030, however shortly after leaving the berth, we had to return to disembark an passenger who urgently required medical assistance. My thoughts are with the passenger and his/her  family. Tonight was the night for the “Pirates in the Caribbean” Deck Party and Fireworks. A special menu was again served throughout the ship. Tonight we dined in Parrot Cay, which was quite fitting for the occasion with everyone dressed up in Pirate gear. Once again we met our friends from the Monaco tour to view the party and fireworks on deck. However, the fireworks were postponed until the following day due to the late departure from Naples and the weather conditions were unfavorable. Snacks were served on Deck including Chocolate Cakes, Strawberries dipped in Chocolate, Mexican Wraps, Sandwiches and Turkey Legs the size of a rugby ball! We enjoyed another drink in the Promenade Lounge before retiring for the evening at the reasonable time of 1am…

Thursday Aug 11
Today was our first and only day at sea aboard the Disney Magic. The previous evening, my friend’s parents and mine decided that my friend and I should get up around 0700 and reserve some sunloungers and chairs before they were all occupied. So that is what I did, however when I got up to the pool deck at 0730, there were none out! I was not impressed and headed back to the stateroom for 30 minutes. I returned at 0800 to find that the loungers and chairs had now been set up and reserved six by putting a towel on each, whilst I sat next to them on a chair. I enjoyed my breakfast outdoors in the sunshine which consisted of Mickey Waffles, Strawberries and Melon. The Breakfast selection in the Topsiders Buffet was of a wide variety with a lot of fruit on offer to accompany the cereals and hot dishes. After breakfast, I watched the “Jungle Book” on the jumbo led screen named “Funnelvision” before I returned to the bridge at 1150 where I finally got to sound the Disney horn. It was a surreal experience and I loved every moment of it… Except from hearing that I frightened everyone by the forward funnel as no announcement was made.

I spent another thirty minutes on the bridge chatting to the Captain and the Officers before grabbing a spot of lunch. After Lunch, I sat by the pool for a while before heading once again to Bingo – where again Lady Luck was not on my side.Tonight was the Formal Captain’s Gala Evening where again I met the Captain for photos. Captain Marco of the Disney Magic is from Venice and was extremely friendly and in my opinion is one of the best Captain’s I have met. He took time to chat to everyone and ensure that they had been enjoying themselves aboard the Disney Magic. Dinner was a special shipwide menu. We dined in Lumiere’s tonight again – the food was delicious! However, I did not opt for a dessert because tonight there was a special Gala Buffet which consisited of all the cakes you could think of, including the chocolate fountain. We met our friends and watched the Fireworks on Deck before heading to the Gala Buffet – where I must admit that I did overindulge a bit tonight – but it was worth it!

Friday 12th Aug
Today we were scheduled to be in the port of Palma de Mallorca. However, due to a planned transport strike within the city, the Captain took the decision to cancel the call to Palma and arrive a day early in Barcelona where we stayed overnight before leaving the ship. We stayed in Barcelona for two nights prior to the cruise so we decided to take a boat tour along the coast of Barcelona and got a fantastic view of Barcelona from sea. We headed back to the ship around 1400 and grabbed some lunch before it was time to pack… yes already! By the time we packed it was time to get ready for dinner… So we headed to the Walt Disney Theatre where we met our friends to watch the show. We then headed to Animator’s Palate where we had a special “Til’ We Meet Again” menu. After dinner, for the final time we met up with our friends to watch the “See Ya Real Soon” Farewell show in the Atrium before enjoying one final drink in the Promenade Lounge before returning to our staterooms at 0030…

Saturday 13th Aug
Well that’s it. Today we had to vacate our staterooms by 0830, headed to breakfast – said farewell and we were off the ship by 0930. It was off to the airport in the coach where we waited for our flight home.The Disney Magic is a beautiful ship, she does look tired in places but overall, I  prefer the (newer) Disney Dream.The staff aboard couldn’t do enough for us and were always polite.Entertainment was very good – not sure on one or two of the comedians, but just personal preference.The ports of call were good – been to most before. It was a shame that we missed Palma as I liked it there.